Sunday, March 27, 2011

Taking 'cosplay' to the next level

One of the most important things in any art form is how your work is presented to the world. With the internet now, anyone can put anything out there and you need to find a way to really make your work stand out from all the rest. Of course making good quality costumes is important, but that's really a skill learned over time and with each costume you make you'll learn and become better. However, taking good quality photos of your costumes will go a long way towards making you and your work look more professional. So here's some of my tips to make a photo shoot successful!

1. Find a skilled photographer -
Finding someone who has a good camera and knows how to use it is obviously the first thing. This should also be someone you trust and feel comfortable with. If you're feeling relaxed you'll be open to different poses and feel more in character.
2. Set dates for photo shoots -
I try to plan my photo shoots at times when I don't have a lot of other stuff going on. Photos at conventions are fun, but I'm usually more stressed and lacking sleep at those times. Having a photos taken during a more relaxed time means I'm more refreshed, awake and there for better looking.
3. Be prepared! -
I try to have the 'scenes' I want to shoot set up, along with any props and all costumes organized and ready for when the photographer comes so I'm not wasting anyone's time.
4. Get help -
If possible I like to have one or two friends also available to help with the shoot. They can help hold props, lights or just be an extra set of eyes to make sure everything with your costume is looking good. Nothing is worse than a perfect shot ruined by your wig slipping back, or a hair in your face.
5. Process, Edit and be selective -
This is often the most difficult for me! I am always really excited about all the new photos after a shoot, but I have to remember I want to present myself in the best light only. So its better to only upload the photos you really love and make sure you've color corrected and edited them till you're completely satisfied that they present your work in the best possible way.





These photos  are by the very talented and wonderful Scott O'Neal, whom you can e-mail at Hulking4Christ@gmail.com for info about photo shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment